The web design environment is changing rapidly and your clients require more from you that they ever did before. With the dynamism of the internet platform website owners require constant change to web design to keep up with the times. As a web designer you will be called upon to offer comprehensive services including development of the web architecture, CMS configuration, and content management among other tasks. Most of your work will involve creating of files and updating the client’s websites as per their needs.
File Management in Web Design
One of the toughest aspects in web design comes in file management. There are myriad files emanating from your client which need to be edited and incorporated into the web design. To optimize web design you need the best tool to handle your files and this is where Portable Document Format (PDF) comes in handy. PDF is an open standard developed by Adobe Systems way back in 1993.
Over the years this has become the most popular format for documents shared online. In all likelihood your clients will deliver their raw documents in PDF format. Today there are many variations and updates on PDF to enable web designers handle any type of electronic media distribution. Interactive PDF is an example of such variations and it allows a web designer to present a website to their clients to demonstrate how the final product will work.
Why Use Portable Document Format (PDF) in Web Design
There are many other formats that can be used to share and present documents but they have drawbacks which PDF overcomes. Here are just a few reason you should leverage PDF in web design:
- File Compression: Most of the files you are sharing online are large. Think of templates, raw website pages, application content and such other files. PDF helps you to compress such large files thus saving you bandwidth. When your files contain graphics as they are wont to do PDF is a Godsend. You can achieve compression rates of between 2.1 down to 8.1 without losing quality of your work. Think of that web page presentation that you need to show your client and you start appreciating how important PDF is in web design.
- Data security: When sharing documents online security is paramount and the ability to encrypt PDF files make sit a must have for web designer. You can use watermarks and passwords to secure your information.
- Cross functional: This is the best thing about PDF files. You can open them on any device with any browser. Your clients will not return files due to compatibility issues.
- Functionality: It is easy and quick to create PDFs. The format is regularly updated to keep up with the fast changing internet platform and increasing workload. With a few clicks you are able to draft, come up with electronic versions of your files.
Interactive functions: PDF supports interactive functions such as hyperlinks, markup, text notes and file attachments.
Why You Need Online PDF to Word Document Tools
While PDF is rated as the best document format, there are some drawbacks making it important to use PDF to Word converters. One of the main reasons is of course the complexity in editing. Take for instance when a client sends a draft of their homepage in PDF. This content definitely needs to be edited and this is one difficult task in PDF. To make things easier you need to convert the file into Word for easy and quick editing.
In web design a lot of back and forth document sharing is expected before the project wraps up. For efficient editing, you need the best PDF to Word converter online. On PDF texts are perceived as a picture and this makes quite task to edit the same. Manipulating a PDF file is almost impossible because your PDF file is an image of your document. The editing tools might appear like those on Word but that is until you try using them.
Web Design for online PDF tool
Now that you appreciate the importance of PDF uploads and conversion it is important to appreciate that your website must allow for publishing of these files. Your client expects you to create a PDF friendly design that will allow for upload of PDFs and conversion of such files when there is need for editing. As a web designer the task of publishing PDF files using an FTP process and HTML code might be a bliss affair but don’t assume your client has the same expertise.
Your web design architecture largely determines how easy it will be to upload these files. In most cases the web master will be required to use software such as pdf2swf to upload the entire file but this can be simplified by including a PDF link on the website. With eBooks becoming popular your clients will need an assurance that they can upload PDF files on the website when publishing the eBook.
While the web host will determine whether the PDF upload is allowed you should allow for easy publishing once this permission is granted. The web design should allow for easy upload the PDF on a particular page. Uploading the PDF includes:
- Checking the rules form the web host
- Using the file upload program
- Finding the URL of the PDF
- Choosing the location of the PDF
- Finding the location of the PDF file in the HTML
- Adding the link to the PDF file
- Testing the PDF link
When it comes to web design PDF in ineluctable. Not only will you be sharing files using this format but your client will also need to upload such files once the website is done. While PDF is deemed the ultimate document format it is important to appreciate that editing and publishing it on a website is a complicated process. As a web designer it is your duty to make the upload process easy by using uncomplicated code when building the website.
Tim Harris is a web hosting consultant and an app developer working in New York. He is also involved in a project to build a mobile app that allows webmasters to convert PDF to Word document online. When not thinking IT Tim is an avid swimmer.