You should consider running a home storage unit business as it will provide a unique opportunity to convert a commonly occurring problem into a lucrative business. The opportunity, the opportunity lies in the fact that every single day thousand s of individuals and corporates are either moving from location A to B, or they are considering making that big move, due to work related reasons, for leisure, when upgrading their commercial space or lifestyle or when up and moving to another part of the world.
This means that the opportunity to make a living from this day to day event is potentially very huge if only you get the basics of the idea right and you offer a product that will differentiate you from the rest of the players in the market. The model of a successful home storage business is hinged on the following; you have to make sure that you offer your potential absolute peace of mind in their moves. The crux of the matter is that you should strive to make this entire process as painless as possible for them.
Customer Relationships: Make Your Offering Compelling
To this end there are a couple of offerings that you should put in place to make sure that your service ticks and that it will put you in good stead of not only attracting clients but also of retaining and actually expanding your footprint in the business. For starters, before we jump the gun, it is important for you to fully comprehend what the term. “Home storage unit” means.
A home storage unit in a nutshell refers to a service provision which gives, you, the client an opportunity of putting all your household goods for and valuables, for safekeeping, in a licensed, bonded, secure, climate controlled warehouse and being able to retrieve them as soon as you have need for them. Additionally, the service provider should provide you with a web-based interface through which you can check the status of all your items from anywhere in the world, where there is an internet connection.
The Essential Checklist for the Potential Home Storage Business Owner
This brings us to the point of this article, how do you as potential business entity interested in breaking into this field go about the process? What must you offer if you are to have an impact in this field and actually make a living from it? Well, here is a basic checklist of what you should bear in mind if you want to open a closetbox in your area. Here goes;
- Free pickup – To separate yourself from the rest of the pack in this service offering, you must be ready to go above and beyond in your service offering this means that you should send your team to go over to the clients home or office and make the collection at zero extra cost to the customer.
- Clarity – Make sure that your service offering is written in a language that is very clear and easy for the clients to understand. Inform them before they commit about exactly what they will be signing up to. Explain the type of items that you will store for them and any exceptions to the case. If there is a weight limit per item put that out, this will help forestall misunderstandings once the move begins.
- Organization – You should employ the latest technology in labeling all the items of the client that you have in storage the ideal is to inventory the items using barcodes that contain all the pertinent information with respect to the items. The additional advantage of this mode of labeling is that it will enable your clients be able to use the same codes to check the status of their valuables via their online dashboards.
- Security and Tracking – The organization of all the goods by using the bar codes for labeling as described in the point above, will make it infinitely easier to catalogue the goods and find out their status from anywhere in the world. This enhances the feeling of security for the client and also gives you peace of mind as the service provider. You can correct any mishap as soon as it arises.
- Vetted Employees – As a service provider you must make all the required background checks on the backgrounds of all the employees under your care who will be looking after and handling the valuables of your clients that will be in your home storage unit. This safety check will help you to employee individuals who are honest and trustworthy.
- On – Demand Returns – This is the feature that will ultimately put your several fathoms ahead of the pack. This means that you should provide a one click option for your clients to be able to have their items returned back to their doorstep. Whether they want the entire set of goods and valuables returned or just specific items you should make sure that you make this process as seamless as possible.
- Flat Billing Plan – Make the process as seamless and as uncomplicated for the potential clients as possible. The best model for all concerned is a flat monthly fee that is dependent on the space that your items will occupy. This model is useful in that, regardless of the nature of the items being stored or their value the price will be pegged on volume and nothing else.
Grow Your Business Exponentially
As an entrepreneur interested in breaking into the home storage business if you take the above advice to heart then you will be well on the way to success in this lucrative and yet untapped business filed. If you make sure that your service offering is compelling and that you keep using technology to increase and improve your service offering, then without a shadow of a doubt your business will grow by leaps and bounds.
Jane Sedgwick is an expert at residential and commercial relocations; she has an MBA from King’s College London. She has consulted widely across the world on the best ways to make using a closetbox in your area. She has been blogging about this field for the past 17 years.